Make Mini Pretzel Dogs at home for a fun snack or appetizer! Wrap mini hot dogs in a homemade pretzel bun and dip them in your favorite sauce.
In my home we call pretzel dogs party dogs
Growing up we always had mini pretzel hot dogs for every single family party. We called them party dogs because thats what the store called them AND they are perfect for any party.
These mini hot dogs are perfect for parties because kids and adults all love them! It is easier than you think to make these at home.
Just mix a quick pretzel dough together using basic ingredients. Wrap the mini hot dogs in the pretzel bun, boil them in a baking soda solution, bake in the oven until golden brown and serve!
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring spoons and measuring cups
- Liquid measuring cups
- Wooden spoon
- Tea towel
- Large stock pot for boiling pretzel buns in baking soda mixture
- Baking sheet
- Warm water
- Instant yeast
- Melted butter
- All purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Mini hot dogs
Can i use whole wheat flour?
Yes! But the flour is much more dense. If the dough seems too thick and heavy once it is mixed, mix in some extra warm water until a smooth dough remains.
what kind of dipping sauces should I serve with these mini pretzel dogs?
My favorite dipping sauce for any kind of pretzel is my homemade honey mustard sauce. Any kind of mustard would be perfect with these mini hot dogs especially a spicy sriracha mustard. You could also serve these with a cheese sauce.
How to mini hot dogs with a pretzel bun
Step 1: Prepare dough for pretzel hot dog bun
To begin, prepare a simple pretzel dough by first combining the yeast with the wet ingredients. Then, mix in the flour and salt.
Gently knead the the pretzel dough to combine fully. Place in a large bowl and cover with a tea towel. Allow the dough to rise for one hour.
Step 2: Wrap mini hot dogs in dough
Then, divide the pretzel dough ball into six even pieces. Roll each piece into a long tube and cut that tube into seven even pieces.
Wrap each mini hot dog in one of the pieces of dough. Stretch, pull and pinch the dough to make sure its a tight wrap.
Step 3: Boil pretzel dogs
Preheat the oven to 450F and prepare a baking soda bath for the hot dogs by adding 1/2 cup of baking soda to a large stock pot. Fill the stock pot 3/4 of the way with water and bring to a boil.
Once the water is boiling, boil the dough wrapped hot dogs in batches for 10 seconds each batch. Remove from the boiling water with a slotted spoon and place on a baking sheet.
Step 4: Bake mini pretzel hots dogs in the oven until golden brown
Bake at 450F until golden brown and serve with your favorite dipping sauce!
Storage and reheating
Once prepared, allow them to cool and then store these mini pretzel dogs in an airtight container in the fridge. Reheat in the oven, air fryer or toaster oven at a low temperature until just warmed through.
Check out these other delicious appetizer recipes!
You can find the full recipe below. If you make this recipe, please rate and review it in the comments, or share it with me on Instagram!
- Mix warm water, yeast, sugar and melted butter in a large mixing bowl. If using dry active yeast, let this mixture sit for 5 minutes. If using instant yeast, continue to next step.
- Add flour and salt to the bowl and mix with a wooden spoon until you cannot mix anymore. Then, wet your hands and use them to knead the dough into a smooth ball. Leave the dough ball in the mixing bowl, cover with a damp tea towel, and allow the dough to rise at room temperature for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, remove the dough ball from the bowl and cut into 6 even pieces. Roll each piece into a long tube and cut the tube into 7 pieces. Wrap each of the smaller pieces around a mini hot dog. Pinch and pull the dough to ensure a tight wrap. Continue until each hot dog is wrapped in pretzel dough.
- Preheat the oven to 450F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Prepare a baking soda bath with 1/2 cup of baking soda. Place baking soda in a large stock pot and fill 3/4 of the way with water. Bring the water and baking soda to a boil.
- Take the wrapped hot dogs and boil them in batches for 10 seconds. Remove from the boiling water with a slotted spoon and place on the baking sheet. Continue until all are boiled.
- Whisk the large egg and brush egg over each mini hot dog on the baking sheet. Top with coarse sea salt or pretzel salt. Bake in the oven at 450F until golden brown about 10 minutes.