This Paleo Banana Cake is basically just a fancy paleo banana bread topped with some creamy dairy-free chocolate frosting and sprinkles. This healthy cake is easy to make and perfect for any kind of celebration.
Banana bread and birthday cake came together to make this paleo treat!
I found myself with a surplus of ripe bananas so like any good human I started to think of banana bread recipes, BUT I was also craving chocolate cake. So, I poured my paleo banana bread batter into an 8×8 baking pan instead of a loaf pan.
Then, I wracked my brain for how to make a creamy paleo chocolate frosting. I made brownies with sweet potato before and loved how creamy they were. I took the idea of using sweet potato in baked goods and made a rich and creamy chocolate frosting.
What kitchen tools will I need to make this Paleo Banana Cake?
What ingredients will I need to make this easy paleo treat?
- Ripe bananas
- Coconut oil
- Coconut sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Almond flour
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Sweet potato
- Cocoa powder
- Maple syrup
Let’s make a Paleo Banana Cake!
Step 1: Mix the batter and steam sweet potato
First, preheat oven to 350F and grease an 8×8 baking pan. Peel and cube sweet potato and steam on the stovetop until soft, about 20 minutes.
Next, mash ripe bananas in a large mixing bowl. Then, add eggs, vanilla extract, coconut oil, and coconut sugar to the bowl and mix again. Mix almond flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder in a separate bowl and fold into wet ingredients.
Step 2: Bake the cake and prep the frosting
Next, pour batter into the baking pan. Then, bake at 350F for 38 minutes. Remove the sweet potato from the heat and mash.
Then, add 1 cup cooled mashed sweet potato to a bowl with cocoa powder and maple syrup. Mix with a hand mixer or food processor until combined. Then, add almond milk to the frosting and mix again until smooth and creamy.
Step 3: Put it together and add sprinkles!
Remove the cake from the oven and allow it to cool fully. Then, spread the frosting over top, decorate with sprinkles and cut into squares.
Step 4: Enjoy!
How should I store this healthy cake?
Once baked, store this paleo banana bread in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Please do not store this on the counter. It is made with fresh ingredients and will perish quickly.
You can find the full recipe below. If you make this recipe, please rate and review it in the comments, or share it with me on Instagram!Print
- 3 large ripe bananas
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease an 8×8 baking pan or line with parchement paper
- Peel and cube sweet potato and add steam on the stove top until soft about 20 minutes
- In a large mixing bowl, mash banana with a fork or potato smasher
- Add eggs, melted and cooled coconut oil, coconut sugar, and vanilla extract to the mixing bowl with the smashed banana and mix thoroughly
- In a separate mixing bowl combine almond flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt
- Fold dry ingredients into wet ingredients and spread into the 8×8 baking pan
- Bake at 350F for 38 minutes
- While the cake cooks prepare the icing by mashing the sweet potato with a fork or hand mixer
- Add 1 cup cooked and cooled mashed sweet potato to a mixing bowl with cocoa powder and maple syrup
- Mix with an electric hand mixer or in a food processor until combined
- Add almond milk to the icing and mix until smooth and creamy
- Remove cake from the oven and allow to cool fully before topping with icing and sprinkles
Keywords: banana cake, banana bread, paleo banana cake