Make this Beef and Mushrooms with Cauliflower Mash for a healthy, low carb dinner. This beef and mushroom recipe pairs perfectly with keto cauliflower mash.
Make this beef and mushroom recipe for comfort food that makes you feel good too
I walk a tricky line on Sunday afternoons and evenings between wanting all of the cozy comfort foods AND wanting to feel my best on a Monday morning. Luckily this beef and mushroom recipe with keto cauliflower mash dish brings me the best of both worlds.
It’s hard for me to know when my food is actually delicious and when I am just being biased, but I tasted this beef and mushroom dish and immediately said, “WOW this is good!” Thankfully my taste tester agreed and I hope that you all will too!
What is cauliflower mash?
Cauliflower mash is an alternative to mashed potatoes that is made by steaming cauliflower and blending with salt, milk, and butter. Cauliflower mash is keto friendly because it is much lower in carbohydrates than traditional mashed potatoes.
Replace your regular mashed potatoes with keto cauliflower mash
You might think that the beef and beef broth are the star of the show in this beef and mushrooms with cauliflower mash dish, but don’t sleep on the cauliflower mash! Ever since doing the Whole30 in January, my girlfriend and I have been converted from mashed potatoes to mashed cauliflower.
Its easier to make, so creamy and doesn’t leave me feeling Like I have a bowling ball in my stomach after I eat. When we are not following a Whole30 in this house we make it with salt, butter and heavy cream.
How to make this beef and mushroom recipe
This beef and mushroom with cauliflower mash dish honestly looks harder to throw together than it actually is. For me this came together in less than 30 minutes which is the kind of thing I need when that evening hanger starts to set in!!
To make this comforting meal just take your flank steak and tenderize it. Then season on both sides and cube the meat. Toss the meat in tapioca flour and set aside.
Cut your cauliflower into florets and steam in its own pot. Slice the mushroom and onions. Heat some oil over medium and add the flank steak to the pan. Cook the flank steak for about 5 minutes.
Remove from the pan and add the mushrooms, onion and a splash of beef broth. Allow the veggies to soften, then add the remainder of the beef broth, the beef and a few sprigs of thyme.
Simmer for a few minutes to allow the flavors to combine and sauce to thicken. While this is simmering add cream and butter to steamed cauliflower and blend in the pot with an immersion blender. Serve beef warm with sauce over cauliflower mash!
You can find the full recipe down below and, as always, if you make this dish, please share your version with me on Instagram!
Steak and Mushrooms
- 1 and 1/2 lbs flank steak
- 1 tbsp tapioca flour
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 8oz baby bella mushrooms
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 cup beef broth
- 4–5 sprigs of fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper
- Tenderize flank steak by pounding with a meat tenderizer and season the steak liberally on both sides. Slice mushrooms, dice the onion and cut the cauliflower into florets.
- Cut the steak into bite size pieces and toss in a mixing bowl with tapioca flour until each piece is coated. Heat avocado oil in a large frying pan over medium heat.
- When the oil is warm add steak to the pan. Cook over medium for 5 minutes tossing occasionally. Steam the cauliflower florets in a separate pan for 10 minutes or until very tender.
- Remove the steak from the pan, but leave the pan on the heat. Add onions, mushrooms and a couple of tablespoons of beef broth to the pan. Cooke the mushrooms and onions over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Return the steak to the pan with the mushrooms and onions and pour in the rest of the cup of beef broth. Increase the heat to medium-high, add a few sprigs of fresh thyme to the pan and saute for 5 minutes
- While the beef is simmering, remove excess liquid from the steamed cauliflower. Add butter, cream and salt to the steamed cauliflower. Stick an immersion blender into the pot and blend the cauliflower until it is smooth and creamy.
- Serve the beef and mushrooms over the cauliflower mash