- 4 bone-in skin on chicken thighs
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 yellow onion – diced
- 2 cups long grain brown rice
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Combine smoked paprika, salt, pepper, oregano and cumin in a small bowl. Season chicken thighs on all sides with the seasoning mixture
- Turn instant pot on saute mode. Pour in oil. Add seasoned chicken thighs to hot oil.
- Brown chicken thighs for 3 minutes on each side and remove from instant pot. Pour diced onions into the instant pot and saute until soft and fragrant – about 5 minutes.
- While you saute the onions, rinse the brown rice thoroughly. Rinse until the water is clear.
- Turn the saute mode off. Pour the water and chicken broth into the instant pot followed by the rice. Make sure that the rice is covered with the liquid. Place the seared chicken thighs on top of the rice.
- Close the instant pot and set the vent to sealing. Set the instant pot to manual high pressure for 3 minutes. When the instant pot is done cooking, turn it off and allow the pressure to release naturally – wait for the metal pin to drop completely, this can take up to 20 minutes.
- Open the instant pot and remove the chicken thighs. Stir the rice and place the lid back on the instant pot to allow the rice to steam for another few minutes. Remove the lid and fluff the rice. Serve with the chicken and some veggies!
** This recipe makes a large amount of cooked brown rice. I like to serve it immediately with the chicken and then the leftovers with other meals!