Move over Chipotle! This Whole30 Instant Pot barbacoa beef is deliciously tender and loaded with flavor. This healthy and easy Whole30 Instant Pot recipe can be prepared once and enjoyed in tacos or burrito bowls all week!
How do I cook this large cut of beef?
Have you ever asked yourself this question? I certainly did when I got a few large bottom roasts in my Butcher Box order. I wasn’t sure the best way to cook them until Amy suggested barbacoa beef.
I took my large cut of beef and made this healthy and delicious Whole30 Instant pot recipe. This Whole30 Instant Pot barbacoa beef rivals the flavor of restaurant barbacoa, but with healthy, Whole30 approved ingredients.
Why should I make this barbacoa beef recipe in the Instant Pot?
Large cuts of beef like a shoulder or bottom round can be very tough. To tenderize this beef you would need to cook it for a very long time. When you cook the beef in an Instant Pot under pressure the meat tenderizes much faster than other methods.
What ingredients do you need to make this healthy barbacoa beef?
Bottom or shoulder roast
Beef broth or beef bone broth
Let’s make this Whole30 Instant pot recipe!
Step 1: Prep and sear the beef
Trim excess fat from the roast and cut into 3 even pieces. Season the beef liberally with salt on all sides. Heat oil in an Instant Pot on saute. When the oil is hot add the beef to the pot and sear on all sides.
Step 2: make the sauce
Step 3: Cook under pressure
Step 4: shred and enjoy
Remove the beef from the Instant Pot and shred with two forks. Return the shredded beef to the pot to mix back in with the sauce. Now you are ready to enjoy your barbacoa beef on tacos, nachos and burrito bowls!Print
Make restaurant quality barbacoa beef at home in your Instant Pot with Whole30 ingredients!
- Trim excess fat from the roast and cut into 4 even peices and salt liberally on all sides
- Blend garlic, dried chipotle peppers, pitted dates, apple cider vinegar, beef broth, cumin, oregano, and salt in a high speed blender and set to the side
- Heat avocado oil in the Instant Pot on saute
- Add the beef to the Instant Pot and brown on all sides
- Turn the Instant Pot off saute
- Pour the liquid in the Instant Pot on the browned beef
- Close the Instant Pot, set to sealing, and set to manual high pressure for 45 minutes
- The Instant Pot will come to pressure, cook for 45 minutes and then beep
- After the beep, manually release the IP pressure
- Remove the beef from the Instant Pot and shred with two forks
- Pour the juice from the Instant Pot over the shredded beef and enjoy!
Keywords: barbacao beef, instant pot, whole30 instant pot