Servings: 4 servings 1x
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 small corn tortillas
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ white onion diced
- 1 (4oz) can of diced green chiles
- Salt and pepper
- 1 (15oz) can of black beans
- 1 (12oz) bottle red enchilada sauce
- 1.5 cups shredded Mexican cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Place chicken breasts in a sauce pan and fill with water. Bring the pot to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cover the pot. Simmer for 14 minutes, remove the chicken breasts from the pot and allow to cool. When it has cooled slightly, shred the chicken with 2 forks.
- Slice the corn tortillas into strips and then cut each strip in half. Set aside. Drain and rinse black beans.
- Heat oil in a large oven safe skillet over medium heat and saute the onion and green chiles in the oil until the onions are soft about 3-4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the black beans, shredded chicken and enchilada sauce to the skillet and toss to combine. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and mix the cut up tortillas into the skillet and top with the shredded cheese.
- Place in the oven and bake at 350F for 5-8 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbling.
- If you use all corn tortillas, this recipe is gluten free just be sure to check the ingredients in your enchilada sauce
- You can use a green enchilada sauce or mole in place of the red enchilada sauce
- To make this recipe dairy free, use a dairy free cheese in place of the shredded cheese
- You can use kidney or pinto beans in place of the black beans
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.