This Pesto Baked Turkey Meatballs recipe makes tender, flavorful turkey meatballs with pesto sauce and mozzarella cheese that you can enjoy for a family meal or prep ahead for meals all week.
Prep these healthy turkey meatballs in less than an hour
These baked turkey meatballs are perfect for those nights when you don’t want to mess around with a bunch of different ingredients or complicated steps. You online need a few basic ingredients to make these flavorful and tender turkey meatballs.
These meatballs come together in 10 minutes and baked for 30 minutes. While they bake you have the perfect amount of time to prepare some noodles or veggies to enjoy with your healthy pesto turkey meatballs. If you can’t eat them all in one sitting, they are perfect as leftovers for lunch.
What kitchen tools will I need to make these Pesto Baked Turkey Meatballs?
What ingredients will I need to make these oven-baked turkey meatballs?
- Pesto – I used this homemade pesto recipe, but any store bought pesto can work!
- Ground turkey
- Garlic powder
- Dried basil
- Mozzarella cheese
How do I make Pesto Baked Turkey Meatballs?
Step 1: Make the meatballs
First, preheat the oven to 400F. Then, in a large mixing bowl, combine ground turkey, egg, salt, pepper, garlic powder and dried basil.
Use your hands to combine the mixture thoroughly. Then, make 16 even meatballs by rolling 2 tbsp of mixture into each meatball.
Step 2: Arrange in the dish and bake
Next, spread 1/4 cup of pesto sauce in a thin layer in the bottom of a 10×10 square baking dish. Then, arrange the meatballs in the dish and top with them with the remaining 3/4 cup of pesto. Place in the oven and bake for 25 minutes.
Step 3: Add cheese and bake again
Next, remove the baking dish from the oven and top with the mozzarella cheese. Then, return the dish to the oven for 5 minutes or until the cheese melts. Allow to cool slightly and enjoy with noodles or veggies!
Step 4: Enjoy!
How long will these oven-baked turkey meatballs keep in the fridge?
Once prepared, store the meatballs in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Reheat in an oven, toasted oven or in the microwave.
Can I freeze these pesto meatballs?
Yes! I find that meatballs are a food that freeze really well! To freeze this recipe I would cook for just 20 minutes without the cheese, cool completely and then freeze. When you are ready to thaw and reheat you can add some extra pesto and the mozzarella cheese to keep them tender and flavorful!
You can find the full recipe below. If you make this recipe, please rate and review it in the comments, or share it with me on Instagram!Print
Baked turkey meatballs made with pesto sauce and mozzarella cheese.
- 1.5 lb ground turkey
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1 cup of pesto
- 2/3 cup mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400F
- In a large mixing bowl combine ground turkey, egg, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and dried basil
- Use your hands to combine this mixture thoroughly
- Take 1/4 cup of the pesto and spread a thin layer along the bottom of a 10×10 square baking dish
- Form 16 meatball by taking 2 tbsp of the turkey meatball mixture for each meatball
- Arrange the 16 meatballs in the baking dish
- Pour the remaining 3/4 cup of pesto over the meatballs ensuring each one is covered
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes
- Then remove from the oven, add the mozzarella cheese and bake for an additional 5 minutes or until the cheese melts
- Allow to cool slightly and serve with noodles or veggies!
Keywords: baked turkey meatballs, oven baked turkey meatballs, healthy baked turkey meatballs