Servings: 12 slices 1x
- 15oz loaf of challah bread or brioche bread
- 1 stick of salted butter
- ½ cup brown sugar – packed
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
Wet Mixture Ingredients:
- 8 eggs
- 1.5 cups milk – I used 2%
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Prepare casserole the night before baking**
- Melt butter and brown sugar together. Mix in 1 tsp of cinnamon and pour mixture into the bottom of a 9×13 casserole dish and spread into an even layer.
- Slice bread into 1” thick slices. Arrange bread sliced in an even layer in the casserole dish. You may need to slice the bread into smaller pieces and smash them in to create an even layer of bread.
- Whisk together all of the wet mixture ingredients until you are left with an even mixture and pour over top of the bread.
- Cover and place in the fridge overnight. The bread will expand as it absorbs the liquid.
- In the morning, preheat the oven to 400F. Cover the casserole dish with tinfoil and bake covered for 30 minutes.
- Remove the tinfoil and bake for another 10-15 minutes – the casserole will expand and the top will become golden brown so do not place too close to the top of oven.
- Cut into slices and serve with butter and maple syrup.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.