- 3lb boneless chuck roast
- 3 large carrots
- 1lb baby potatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- Preheat oven to 300F and allow chuck roast to come to room temperature. Peel and chop carrots into sticks. Clean and cut each baby potato in half.
- Season chuck roast on all sides with the salt and pepper. Heat olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat. When the oil is warm, sear the chuck roast on all sides until there is a golden brown crust – about 4 mins each side.
- Remove the chuck roast from the pan, drain any excess oil from the pan and reduce the heat to medium low. Mix beef broth, wine, and tomato paste in the pan scraping any brown bits off the bottom as you mix. Let this mixture simmer for 5 minutes.
- Arrange half of the carrots and potatoes in a layer in the bottom of a roasting pan. Place the roast on top and arrange the rest of the carrots and potatoes around it. Season with rosemary and thyme and pour the liquid from the pan over top.
- Cover the roasting pan with a lid and place in the oven to cook. Cook for an hour and a half then remove from the oven and spoon the liquid from the bottom of the pan over the roast for a minute. Cover the pan and return it to the oven.
- Cook for another hour and half until the roast has cooked for 3 hours total. Remove from the pan and let it rest for at least 10 minutes. Slice and serve with the carrots and potatoes.
- Skim the excess fat off the juice from the pan and serve with the sliced roast.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.