Mac and Cheeze Bites (Vegan/GF)
A few weeks ago I made a spicy, vegan cashew cheese sauce for french fries and then had the idea to turn it into little macaroni bites and the result was pure bliss! I could truly eat this sauce on everything (and have!), but these little bites make a perfect appetizer or addition to your lunch box.
Mac and Cheeze Bites
- 1 cup raw cashews or cashew pieces soaked in water overnight
- 3 TBSP nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 3 TBSP hot sauce (I always use Frank's Red Hot)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 TBSP coconut flour
- 2.5 cups gluten-free elbow pasta cooked al dente (I used brown rice pasta)
- Cooking oil spray (I use avocado)
- Preheat oven to 350F and spray a silicon mini muffin tin with oil - if using a standard mini muffin tin use liners so bites pop out easily.
- Cook gluten-free pasta until al dente (usually 2 minutes less than package instructions), rinse with cool water and drizzle with olive oil.
- Combine soaked and rinsed cashews, hot water, hot sauce, nutritional yeast and spices in a high-speed blender or food processor until smooth.
- Fold 1 TBSP coconut flour into smooth sauce to thicken.
- Combine sauce and cold pasta.
- Place 1.5 TBSP of mac and cheeze into each muffin spot and press down to pack in.
- Bake in oven for 10 minutes, allow the bites to cool and gently pop out