Afternoon Matcha Ritual
I don't think I will ever be able to give up my morning cup of coffee. I love the taste. I love the smell. I especially love the ritual of making it in the quiet morning light while still half asleep. The ritual of prepping my morning coffee is one of my favorite parts of my day, but lately I found myself getting into a ritual that I'm not very proud of; the afternoon coffee habit. Most afternoons I feel a pull to grab another cup of coffee to get me through that last bit of work for the day. In theory there is nothing wrong with a second cup of coffee, but I hated feeling dependent on it and if I had it too late in the day it would completely mess with my schedule.
Then I found matcha! The ritual of preparing a matcha latte is similar to that of my morning coffee routine and the caffeine is more mild so i can have it as late as 5 or 6pm and still fall asleep with no problems. I make my matcha latte with brain octane for an energy boost, cacao butter for extra creaminess and nutrients, and collagen for extra protein to hold me over for dinner.
- 8 fl oz nearly boiled water
- 1 tsp ceremonial grade matcha tea
- 1 tbsp raw cacao butter
- 1 scoop collagen
- 1 tsp MCT oil
- Splash of non-dairy milk (I usually use almond)
- 1 tsp coconut sugar (I need sweetener with matcha!)
- Boil water.
- While water is boiling prep other ingredients. I pour my matcha through a fine mesh strainer in order to get out any clumps.
- Place matcha, cacao butter, collagen, coconut sugar and MCT oil in a blender.
- When water is nearly boiling, add 8 fl oz to the blender
- Blend on LOW (setting 1 or 2 if you are using a Vitamix) until all ingredients are thoroughly mixed and some foam has formed. You can see that the latte is getting frothy when the color changes from a bright green to a whiter green.
- Pour in a mug or tea bowl to enjoy!