Servings: 10.5 servings 1x
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1 tsp instant yeast
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 2 cups all purpose flour – measure using the scoop and level method
- 1 tsp salt
- 42 mini hot dogs
- 1/2 cup baking soda – for baking soda bath
- 1 large egg
- Coarse sea salt or pretzel salt for topping
- Mix warm water, yeast, sugar and melted butter in a large mixing bowl. If using dry active yeast, let this mixture sit for 5 minutes. If using instant yeast, continue to next step.
- Add flour and salt to the bowl and mix with a wooden spoon until you cannot mix anymore. Then, wet your hands and use them to knead the dough into a smooth ball. Leave the dough ball in the mixing bowl, cover with a damp tea towel, and allow the dough to rise at room temperature for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, remove the dough ball from the bowl and cut into 6 even pieces. Roll each piece into a long tube and cut the tube into 7 pieces. Wrap each of the smaller pieces around a mini hot dog. Pinch and pull the dough to ensure a tight wrap. Continue until each hot dog is wrapped in pretzel dough.
- Preheat the oven to 450F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Prepare a baking soda bath with 1/2 cup of baking soda. Place baking soda in a large stock pot and fill 3/4 of the way with water. Bring the water and baking soda to a boil.
- Take the wrapped hot dogs and boil them in batches for 10 seconds. Remove from the boiling water with a slotted spoon and place on the baking sheet. Continue until all are boiled.
- Whisk the large egg and brush egg over each mini hot dog on the baking sheet. Top with coarse sea salt or pretzel salt. Bake in the oven at 450F until golden brown about 10 minutes.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.