Make a whole spatchcock chicken with a flavorful lemon, herb, and butter rub
- Preheat the oven to 450F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper – you can cook in a cast-iron skillet instead, but you need a very large one
- Zest one lemon and mince the garlic
- Add butter, lemon zest, garlic, salt, pepper, dried parsley, and dried thyme to a small mixing bowl
- Mix to combine thoroughly and set to the side
- Spatchcock your chicken by removing the backbone and laying flat – see instructions and video above for how to do this
- Lay the chicken flat with the breast side up
- Take your butter, lemon, and herb mixture and rub it all over the skin and under the skin of your bird. You can lift the skin on the breasts and the thighs to really pack a lot of the mixture under the skin – this is how the meat gets flavorful and juicy
- Lay your spatchcocked chicken on a lined baking sheet or in the cast iron skillet – I like to add some thick cut carrot and onions to the pan
- Place in the oven to bake for 45-55 minutes – until the thickest section of the thigh meat reads 165F on a meat thermometer. The timing will depend on the size of the bird. Our 4lb chicken took 45 minutes, a 5lb chicken took 55 minutes and a 5.25lb chicken took nearly an hour. Use that as a guide, but the temperature is the best way to know
- Remove from the oven and allow the chicken to rest for about 15 minutes before cutting into parts to enjoy!
** A 4-5 lb chicken is enough for 4 large servings. Usually, Amy and I eat half at one meal and have half for leftovers for lunch the next day.
Keywords: lemon herb chicken, spatchcock chicken, spatchcock chicken recipe, how to spatchcock chicken