- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds
- 16oz curly kale with the stems removed
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Bring 1 cup quinoa and 2 cups water to a boil in a small sauce pot. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and cover the pot. Simmer until all of the water is absorbed. Fluff quinoa with a fork.
- While the quinoa cooks, heat a nonstick skillet over med-low heats. Toast almonds in the skillet until golden brown. Toss frequently and watch them so they don’t burn.
- Chop kale into thin shreds. Pour cooked quinoa, toasted almonds and dried cranberries into the bowl with the kale.
- In a small bowl combine olive oil, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup and dijon mustard. Pour dressing over salad and toss to combine fully and serve!
** You can also take time to massage the kale in the dressing before mixing in the other ingredients. This is not necessary, but will result in a softer kale salad.
- Best if enjoyed immediately. Can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
- Substitute dried cranberries with raisins
- Substitute almonds with any toasted and chopped nuts that you like
- You can use cooked and cooled wild rice in place of cooked quinoa