Servings: 7 biscuits 1x
- 3 cups all purpose flour (measured with scoop and level method)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) salted butter – frozen
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- Preheat oven to 450F. In a large mixing bowl mix together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Using a cheese grater, grate frozen butter into the bowl.
- Gently mix the butter into the dry ingredients with clean hands until its evenly distributed. Pour the milk into the bowl and gently mix with a wooden spoon. Do not overmix! You want the dough to be crumbly.
- Dump dough onto a lightly floured counter top. Using your hands, gently press into a circle that is about 3/4 inch thick.
- Use a large cookie cutter or biscuit cutter (about 3 1/4 inch in diameter) to cut out biscuits. Do not twist when you cut the biscuits just press down and up.
- You should get about 7 biscuits. You can gently push scraps together to cut out more. Arrange biscuits in a 10″ cast iron skillet so that they are all touching.
- Place the cast iron skillet in the oven and bake for 18-20 minutes. As soon as the biscuits come out of the oven, brush the tops with melted butter.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.