This Fajita Chicken Salad is a quick and healthy Whole30 lunch that can be prepped ahead of time and enjoyed all week. And it packs all the flavor of chicken fajitas without the tortilla!
For when you need a Whole30 lunch that you don’t need to reheat.
Let’s talk about how annoying it is to reheat your food for lunch in a crowded office. You have to wait in line and then make sure you get the temperature right and all that jazz. Sometimes it’s just easier to have a healthy cold lunch option that you don’t need to reheat.
I packed all of the flavors of chicken fajitas into a simple cold chicken salad. We eat this fajita chicken salad on lettuce cups, on top of a loaded salad or just on its own with some crispy, fresh-cut veggies.
What kitchen tools will I need to make this healthy Whole30 lunch?
What ingredients will I need to make this chicken salad?
You will be amazed at how easy it is to make this Whole30 chicken salad.
- Boneless skinless chicken breast
- Bell pepper
- Red onion
- Lime juice
- Mayo – I like Primal Kitchen Mayo for Whole30 or my homemade mayo
- Chili powder
- Smoked paprika
- Fresh cilantro
Let’s make Fajita Chicken Salad!
Step 1: Soak the pepper and onions
First, dice the bell pepper and red onion and add to a bowl with lime juice. Allow the peppers and onions to soak in the lime juice to soften the onions while you prepare the rest of the meal.
Step 2: Poach the chicken
Then, add chicken breasts to a sauce pan. Next, fill the pan with cold water until the chicken is covered with at least 1″ of water.
Place the pan on the stove over high heat and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to a simmer and cover the pot. Then, let the chicken simmer for 14 minutes and then remove from the heat.
Step 3: Shred the chicken
Once the chicken has cooled slightly, remove the chicken from the pot. Then, using two forks, shred the chicken breast.
Step 4: Mix, mix, mix
Next, prepare a seasoned mayo by combining mayonnaise with chili powder, cumin, salt, and smoked paprika. Then, in a large mixing bowl, combine shredded chicken, peppers and onions, seasoned mayo, and roughly chopped cilantro until fully combined.
Step 5: Enjoy!
How long will this Fajita Chicken Salad keep in the fridge?
Once prepared this chicken salad should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It is good in the refrigerator for up to 4 days after cooking.
If you’re looking for another delicious Whole30 chicken salad, check out my BLT Chicken Salad recipe!
You can find the full recipe below. If you make this recipe, please rate and review it in the comments, or share it with me on Instagram!Print
Prep this Fajita Chicken Salad ahead of time and enjoy this healthy Whole30 lunch all week!
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1.5 lbs)
- 1 bell pepper
- 1/2 red onion
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- Dice the bell pepper and red onion and add to a small mixing bowl with the lime juice
- Toss the peppers and onions until they are coated in the lime juice. Allow that mixture to sit so the onions can soften while you prepare the rest of the recipe
- Place chicken breasts in a medium sized sauce pan and cover with cold water until chicken is covered with at least 1″ of water
- Place pot on the stove uncovered and bring to a boil
- Reduce to a simmer and cover the pot with a lid
- Allow the chicken to simmer for 14 minutes and then remove the pot from the heat
- While the chicken cooks mix the chili powder, cumin, salt, and paprika into the mayo
- Roughly chop fresh cilantro leaves
- Remove the chicken breasts from the water and shred with two forks
- In a large mixing bowl combine the peppers and onions soaked in the lime juice, shredded chicken, seasoned mayo, and fresh cilantro until fully combined
- Enjoy immediately or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days
Keywords: Whole30, Whole30 lunch, healthy lunch, chicken salad