Make creamy and fluffy mashed potatoes in one pot!
- Peel russet potatoes and cut into 1″ cubes
- Place potatoes and 2 tbsp salt into a large stock pot
- Fill the pot with cold water until the potatoes are fully submerged and the top layer is covered in at least 2″ of water
- Place the pot on the stove and bring the water to a boil
- Once boiling reduce the heat to a simmer and cover the pot
- Allow the potatoes to simmer for at least 10 minutes – potatoes should be soft when pierced with a fork
- Remove the pot from the stove and drain the water
- Immediately return the hot potatoes to the stockpot and cover the pot to retain the heat
- Place a stick of butter and half and half in the warm pot
- Cover the pot and wait a few minutes for the butter to melt
- Using an electric hand mixer, mix the potatoes until almost fully whipped
- Add sour cream to the pot and continue mixing with the hand mixer until fully mixed in
- Best if served immediately!
- If you are making these potatoes ahead of time and serving later, allow the mashed potatoes to cool fully then add some butter and milk on top, cover and place in the fridge until you are ready to reheat
Keywords: easy creamy mashed potatoes, creamy one pot potatoes, classic creamy mashed potatoes