Servings: 8 servings 1x
- 1/2 a yellow onion
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 32oz brussels sprouts
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1.5 tsp salt (separated)
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 cups shredded gruyere cheese
- Preheat oven to 425F and grease a casserole pan. Dice the yellow onion and mince the garlic cloves. Trim the ends off of brussels sprouts and cut into quarters or eighths depending on the size.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat and saute the diced onion and minced garlic until soft and fragrant, about 5 minutes. Add the cut brussels sprouts to the pan and increase the heat to medium. Season the brussels sprouts with 3/4 tsp of salt and saute them for 8 minutes, tossing frequently.
- Pour this mixture into a casserole dish and return the pan to the heat. Melt butter in the pan and then mix flour into the melted butter until a paste remains. Slowly pour the heavy cream in the pot mixing constantly until a roux forms.
- Mix in the vegetable broth, 1 cup gruyere cheese, 3/4 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper and continue mixing until all the cheese is melted. Pour cheese sauce over the brussels sprouts in the casserole dish.
- Top with another cup of gruyere cheese and place in the oven to bake. Bake at 425F for 23-25 minutes or until the top is golden brown and bubbling
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.