- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 20oz refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 28oz jar of pasta sauce
- 1 cup full fat ricotta cheese
- 1 tbsp aged balsamic vinegar
- 1 and 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Slice chicken breasts in half longways so you are left with 2 thinner filets for each breast. Mix salt, garlic powder, oregano, dried basil, and crushed red pepper. Season chicken on both sides with the seasoning mixture.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When oil is warm, sear chicken breasts for about 3 minutes on each side or until they are lightly browned.
- Remove from the pan and place on a cutting board to cool slightly then cut into bite sized cubes.
- Whisk together pasta sauce, ricotta cheese and aged balsamic vinegar. Place tortellini and cubed chicken in a casserole dish. Pour sauce over top and toss to mix thoroughly.
- Spread shredded mozzarella cheese over top. Cover with tinfoil and place in the oven to bake at 350F for 30 minutes. Remove the tinfoil and increase heat to 450F. Continue baking for just a few minutes until the cheese on top is browned and bubbling.
** To prepare ahead of time: Just sear the chicken and mix the ingredients in a baking dish. Top with mozzarella cheese and cover with foil. Place in the fridge or freezer until you are ready to bake and then follow baking instructions.
- To freeze this tortellini casserole prepare it in a freezer safe baking dish. Then cover tightly with 2 layers of foil. Bake from frozen covered for 1 hour at 350F then uncover to brown the cheese on top.
- You can use any type of tortellini you like, but it should be uncooked and refrigerated. I like cheese tortellini best, but you could also use spinach tortellini